Today I was fortunate enough to be a guest speaker on the FAN 590 Outdoor Journal, hosted by Angelo Viola and Pete Bowman. Really nice guys! For those of you who caught the show (or those who didn’t and are curious), here are a few things I touched on…
1. Lower back pain is common. 80% of the population will experience lower back pain at some point in their lives. For fishermen, standing in a boat for eight hours is very hard on the lower back. Try pacing yourself, where you sit for short periods when possible. Core strengthening is helpful as a defense against lower back pain. The “core” includes the muscles of the abdomen and lower back; essentially, the muscles that wrap around your spine like a back brace.
2. For many injuries, a consultation and home exercise program is sufficient for recovery. It really depends on the diagnosis. Consulting with a knowledgeable practitioner who can diagnose your condition properly is key to determining the appropriate course of treatment.
3. No solitary practitioner can treat every condition. Quite frequently, our clinic sees patients that have conditions not amendable to conservative treatment like chiropractic or physiotherapy. In these cases, we refer patients to the appropriate medical professionals (like surgeons).
4. Cortisone is a good treatment option for some people, but not all. Our clinic usually recommends starting with something more conservative. Depending on the diagnosis, there’s usually something we can offer. Graston Technique or Active Release are great options for chronic soft tissue injuries, as John the producer of the show was describing he was experiencing.
5. There’s always something that can be tried for any injury.
6. Modifying your activity may be an important way to assist in recovery.
That’s all I can remember from our conversation. Like I said, a great group of guys on a very entertaining show! If any listeners out there want clarification on any of the topics discussed, feel free to email me directly at email@example.com
Have a great weekend!